Brine Boiled Pork Ribs & BBQ Sauce
Brine Boiled Ribs
The easiest way to prepare ribs at home!
- 2-3 lbs pork spare ribs (cut in half, if too long to fit in pot)
- 6 quarts of water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coarse salt (fine salt will be too salty! Use sea salt or Kosher)
- 1 head of garlic, cloves smashed but not peeled
- Olive oil for brushing
- Barbecue sauce for brushing and serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a stockpot, bring the 6 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 1 cup each sugar and coarse salt until dissolved. Add the smashed, unpeeled cloves and the ribs. Boil until cooked through and tender at the bone, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer meat to a wire rack and let stand to dry, 5 minutes. Heat grill for direct-heat cooking or heat oven to 425. Brush meat with olive oil and season generously with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. If you have a dry rub or seasoning that you love, you can sprinkle some of that on, too.
- Grill the meat or cook in the oven, turning a few times, until charred in spots, 5-10 minutes. If the oven doesn’t achieve the desired char, you can broil for a few minutes, as well. Brush with barbecue sauce in the last few minutes of cooking. Slice pork ribs to serve.